Sunday, 13 September 2015

Hex Hall

TitleHex Hall
AuthorRachel Hawkins
SeriesHex Hall #1
Genres: Young Adult, Urban Fantasy 
Pages: 323 Pages
Publisher: Hyperion  
Published Date: 1 February 2011
Edition: Paper / Ebook 
SourceBuy for Kobo...
              Buy the Book... (Book Depository) 
              Add to Goodreads...
              Buy for Kindle...
__________________________________

In the wake of a love spell gone horribly wrong, Sophie Mercer, a sixteen-year-old witch, is shipped off to Hecate Hall, a boarding school for witches, shapeshifters and faeries. The traumas of mortal high school are nothing compared to the goings on at "Freak High." It's bad enough that she has to deal with a trio of mean girls led by the glamorous Elodie, but it's even worse when she begins to fall for Elodie's gorgeous boyfriend, Archer Cross, and frankly terrifying that the trio are an extremely powerful coven of dark witches. But when Sophie begins to learn the disturbing truth about her father, she is forced to face demons both metaphorical and real, and come to terms with her own growing power as a witch.
___________________________________________

I really don't think the cover for Hex Hall does it justice. From looking at the cover you think it's going to be another girly, same old, supernatural teen read. This is why I kept putting it off until I decided to give it a go one night, as I just finished my previous book. But once I started reading it, WOW, I can’t believe how much it shocked me, I couldn't set it down. It is a fun, entertaining and HOT book at a certain point, that made me giggle so much. But things do change and Hex Hall became something different, a much darker story. I am not going to lie, it did creep me out slightly. I think it didn't help either that I was reading it on a stormy night.

Sophie Mercer has become my joined number one, favourite heroine character. I know that isn't great, but Sydney Sage from Bloodlines and Sophie Mercer are very hard to choose from because, they are so alike in many ways. Sophie is brilliant, I couldn't stop laughing at her sarcastic lines she comes out with, even when the situation is meant to be serious, you can always relay on Sophie to lighten the mood. But Sophie has also got another side to her that just makes her an overall beautiful person. She is caring, open-minded, sees the good in everyone even though they have done bad things. 

Archer Cross, to begin with I wasn't so hooked on the guy. Yea he has the looks and the charm but I don’t know, there was just something about him that just didn't do it for me. But, oh my, my view on Archer really did change about half way through and now I really do like the guy. He knows how to take Sophie and her sarcastic comments and give as good as he gets. But Archer Cross will very much completely surprise you, but that’s for you to find out. His Character takes a turn for the, interesting, and apparently he is very ripped under that school uniform of his, which he was keeping a secret.  

Sophie’s Best Friend Jenna, pink fanatic and the only vampire at Hex Hall, you can’t help but love her, and also feel sorry for her. She is put through some difficult situations in Hex Hall, which she doesn't deserve. But to be honest Jenna up to this point hasn't had an easy life altogether. She is fantastic, a loyal friend and fighter. Overall, she is a genuine, decent person, who deserves love and to be treated right.

Just a little note about Hex Hall before I finish, don’t underestimate anyone because, the people who you think you know, will completely surprise you of who they really are.

To anyone who hasn't read Hex Hall I can’t recommend it highly enough. It has got a bit of everything; romance, action and suspense that will have you on the edge on your seat. It’s just an overall fantastic read which, was that good I couldn't wait to read Demon Glass; I had to know what happened next. Usually I wait till I have the review for the first book wrote before I move on to the next, but Hex Hall was that brilliant I just had read on. 
Selina xx