Sunday, 7 June 2015

The Golden Lily

Title: The Golden Lily
Author: Richelle Mead 
Series: Bloodlines #2
Genres: Young Adult 
               Urban Fantasy 
               Paranormal Romance 
Pages: 448 Pages
Publisher: Penguin 
Published Date: 12 June 2012
Edition: Paperbook / Ebook
SourceBuy the Book...
               Buy for Kobo...
               Add on Goodreads...
               Buy for Kindle...
__________________________________

WILL LOVE LOSE HER EVERYTHING SHE KNOWS? 

Sydney is an alchemist. She protects vampire secrets - and human lives.  

In hiding at a Californian boarding school, Sydney'a life has become irrevocably intertwined with Jill Dragmoir, the vampire Moroi princess she's been tasked with protecting. She has gorwn close to those in Jill's royal circle - and to someone in particular. Someone that forces her to question everything the alchemists believe in.  Someone forbidden.  
When shocking secret threatens to tear the vampire world - her new world - apart, Sydney's loyalties are tested more than ever. Should she trust the alchemist - or her heart?   
______________________________________________

Review 

I read many about this book which complain about “there being so much high school drama.”  But it is set in Amberwood which is a high school.  You also have to think about the fact they are only new there, they are trying to find their place within the school by making new relationships, and some will fail while others will blossom. 

I personally loved the storyline of this book, it was brilliant.  I got just as sucked into it as Bloodlines. However it’s like with most long series’, the second book doesn’t contain any massive events because the story is building up.  Smaller stepping stones needs to be put in place before the dramatic events occur.  However, I am not saying that nothing happens, smaller stepping stones doesn’t mean that it’s not going to shock or surprise you. Let’s face facts there constantly can’t be dramatic Alchemist and Mori events, it’s not realistic people.   

Sydney has a funny sense of humour, she actually makes me laugh. It’s so cute and adorable how she lacks in social skills and constantly refers to reading books on different topics, which for most people just comes naturally. I do prefer Sydney to Rose, don’t get me wrong I loved Rose in the Vampire Academy series, she was so kick ass but it did annoy me how much she kept to herself and tried to do everything herself, it didn’t give you the chance to get to know other characters, whereas Sydney is very open and honest which I prefer more.   

The nutty Ms. Jaclyn Terwilliger, who you can’t help but love for being so out of this world, is playing a bigger role in Sydney’s changing beliefs.  Events are starting to get interesting between these two and I feel there is more to come.  I am curious as to how their relationship is going to grow and in which direction. But, I think we all know which direction after Sydney starts to realise the usefulness of having different sources, even if they go against all she has been brought up to believe in.  

Trey is also another character, like Ms Terwilliger, that is becoming a big part of the story. I love Trey, I think he is like the little brother I never had. He is very bright and clever like Sydney and has a sarcastic sense of humour. You can see why Sydney and Trey are friends, they are both easy to talk to, loveable people and give off a good vibe. Trey and Sydney will venture down a path which will test their friendship to a whole new level. They are very similar in many ways but they don’t even realise it, well not yet anyways.

I know that Sydney keeps referring to her fear and issues with Vampires constantly. But that’s because her beliefs are constantly being tested, she is beginning to wonder, “Who really are the real evil creatures in the world?” She needs to keep reminding herself of her beliefs because she is starting to feel comfortable and maybe even loves the Mori and Dhampir’s.

My favourite scene in this book was between Adrian and Sydney during the Halloween dance.  Yes, I know I gave a little spoiler there that there is a Halloween dance, but not the scene, that I am going to let use find out. It made me see Adrian in a different light where I think I really like him now. He goes about situations in completely different ways than normal people, but that’s just Adrian Ivashkov for you. He is a very cute guy with a massive heart and a beautiful personality, once he allows you to see it. 

The Golden Lily for me is a book full of teasing bits of information. We begin hearing stories which I feel are going to become a massive event very soon, stories which I feel are going to test Sydney to her limits about her beliefs and her future. Her life beliefs are already starting to unravel lies and she begins to question things and people who she thought she could trust.  But, it seems they could be lying and with-holding information from her.  Relationships are also beginning to blossom but could it be the end before it even begins.  Could fear of the Alchemist and other people get the better of them or will love conquer all.

The ending of this book did not shock me at all, however I would off loved for it to of went more smoothly and became ‘a happy ever after.’ But, Sydney is an Alchemist I wouldn’t off expected her to act any differently, I think I would have been disappointed if she hadn’t of acted in that way. I was however expecting Sydney’s sister to come into the story. I was a little bit confused that she hadn’t but believe you me I was not disappointed, with the events and relationships that are building, Sydney’s sister will just get in the way and prevent these from happening. 

I would highly recommend this book for everyone who read and enjoyed Bloodlines, the first book in the series. It was as epic as other Richelle Mead’s books. Even though it wasn’t as dramatic as the first book, you have to read through the stepping stones and building setups for the bigger events. Richelle Mead is a brilliant writer and I know she is building our excitement up and is going to hit us with a massive event we never saw coming, just like the Vampire Academy series.


Selina x